22 May 2009

nice weather????

Hey hey it's supposed to be nice weather for this bank holiday weekend! woo hoo!!! excitement...
It was amazing this morning, all blue skies, warmth, sun and a slight breeze. perfect. Now it's cloudy but hey ho at least it's not raining. Sooooo I just had a lesson which was useful as ever and I've borrowed a tool to see if it'll help me with a problem I've been having with one of my designs. The tool is called a bull stick, hee hee...for some reason that sounds funny to me!! It's a scorper type tool and has a very sharp edge that you can use to carve off tiny slivers of metal. It's particularly useful for opening up holes to set stones in. So I'm going to see if it helps me and if it does, I'll be purchasing one of those. Hm, I've just checked and here's a photo of the scorper itself...and then you buy the handle separately because there are different shapes of wooden handles. So the bit that's at the top of the photo is the part that you put in the handle - the other end is the part that you shape so that you can do the carving. Hm. Total cost would be just over 10 quid...although there's a set with a handle that has a chuck and a whole bunch of different scorpers...and that's just under 20 quid...which would seem to be better value. Hm. So many tools...it's very hard not to just buy loads and loads of tools. It's so tempting! There are a couple of tools that I couldn't do without now (pendant drill, 3rd hand tweezers) but some that I thought I would use lots and haven't (drawplates). It depends on the type of things you make and the style you have, of course. In any case, I'm going to try this bull stick and see how useful it is...
Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend and that it is fun! I'm going to be at home doing hopefully lots of fun stuff, but also a bit of working on my display for all the craft fairs.

No comments: